Pages

Miyerkules, Oktubre 12, 2011

The Misery of Being Old and Ignorant ( Owen Fellthham )

T, is a capital misery of a man to be at once both old and ignorant. If were only old, and had some knowledge, he might abate the tediousness of  decrepit age by the divine raptures of contemplation. If he were young, do he  knew nothing, yet his years would serve him to labor and learn; whereby in the winter of  his time he might beguile the weariness of his pillow and chair. But now his  body  being  withered by the stealing length of his day and  his limbs wholly disabled for either motion or exercise, these, together with a  mind unfurnished of those contenting speculations of admired science,cannot but delineate the portraiture of  a man wretched. A gray head with a wise mind is a treasury of a grave precepts, experience, and judge. But foolish old age is a barren vine in autumn, or an university to study folly in: every action is a pattern of infirmity: while his  body sits still he knows not how to find his mind action: and tell me if there be any life more irksome than idleness. I have numbered yet but a few days, and those, I know, I have neglected; I am not sure they shall be more, nor can I promise my head it shall have a snowy hair. What then? knowledge is  not hurtful but helps a good mind; anything that is loadable I desire to learn. I die tomorrow, my life  today shall be somewhat the sweeter for knowledge; and if any day prove a summer one, it shall not be amiss to have provided something that in the evening of my age may make my mind my companion. Notable was asked what fruit he had reaped of all his studies " By them, " saith he , " have learned both to live and to talk with my life.    

0 (mga) komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento